Professor Frank Caruso
- Materials science
- Nano and biomolecular engineering
- Polymer science
Frank Caruso is a professor and ARC Australian Laureate Fellow at The University of Melbourne, Australia. Prof Caruso is also Deputy Director, ARC Centre of Excellence on Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology. He is also Leader of the Nanostructured Interfaces and Materials Science (NIMS) Group. He received his PhD degree in 1994 from The University of Melbourne, and then moved to the CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers in Melbourne. He was an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow and then group leader at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces (Berlin, Germany) from 1997 until 2002.
His research interests focus on developing advanced nano- and biomaterials for biotechnology and medicine. He has published over 300 peer-reviewed papers and is on the ISI most highly cited list, ranking in the top 20 worldwide in materials science in 2011. He is an Editor of Chemistry of Materials and is on the Editorial Advisory Boards of ACS Nano, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Healthcare Materials, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Biomaterials Science, and Nano Today
He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science in 2009. Prof. Caruso is also the recipient of the inaugural 2012 ACS Nano Lectureship Award (Asia/Pacific) from the American Chemical Society for global impact in nanoscience and nanotechnology. In 2012, he was awarded the Royal Society of Victoria Medal for Excellence in Scientific Research in the Physical Sciences, and after being a 2012 finalist, was awarded the prestigious 2013 CSIRO Eureka Prize for Leadership in Science – this category recognises an Australian individual who has demonstrated an outstanding role and impact on science. He was also part of the team that won the 2013 UNSW Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scientific Research.
- Cho K, Hill AJ, Caruso F, Kentish S. Chlorine resistant glutaraldehyde crosslinked polyelectrolyte multilayer membranes for desalination. Advanced Materials. Wiley-VCH. 2015, Vol. 27, Issue 17.
- Tan SS, Nam E, Cui J, Xu C, Fu Q, Ren J, Wong E, Ladewig K, Caruso F, Blencowe A, Qiao G. Fabrication of ultra-thin polyrotaxane-based films via solid-state continuous assembly of polymers. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2015, Vol. 51, Issue 11.
- Hagemeyer CE, Alt K, Johnston APR, Such GK, Ta HT, Leung MKM, Prabhu S, Wang X, Caruso F, Peter K. Particle generation, functionalization and sortase A-mediated modification with targeting of single-chain antibodies for diagnostic and therapeutic use. NATURE PROTOCOLS. Nature Publishing Group. 2015, Vol. 10, Issue 1.
- Park JH, Kim K, Lee J, Choi JY, Hong D, Yang SH, Caruso F, Lee Y, Choi IS. A Cytoprotective and Degradable Metal-Polyphenol Nanoshell for Single-Cell Encapsulation. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION. Wiley-VCH. 2014, Vol. 53, Issue 46.
- Yan Y, Bjornmalm A, Caruso F. Assembly of Layer-by-Layer Particles and Their Interactions with Biological Systems. Chemistry of Materials. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 1.
- Nam E, Kim J, Guntari SN, Seyler H, Fu Q, Wong E, Blencowe A, Jones D, Caruso F, Qiao G. Continuous assembly of polymers via solid phase reactions. CHEMICAL SCIENCE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2014, Vol. 5, Issue 9.
- Richardson J, Bjornmalm A, Gunawan S, Guo J, Liang K, Tardy B, Sekiguchi S, Noi K, Cui J, Ejima H, Caruso F. Convective polymer assembly for the deposition of nanostructures and polymer thin films on immobilized particles. NANOSCALE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2014, Vol. 6, Issue 22.
- Rahim M, Ejima H, Cho K, Kempe K, Muellner M, Best JP, Caruso F. Coordination-Driven Multistep Assembly of Metal-Polyphenol Films and Capsules. Chemistry of Materials. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 4.
- Cui J, Van Koeverden MP, Muellner M, Kempe K, Caruso F. Emerging methods for the fabrication of polymer capsules. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 207.
- Liang K, Gunawan S, Richardson J, Such G, Cui J, Caruso F. Endocytic Capsule Sensors for Probing Cellular Internalization. ADVANCED HEALTHCARE MATERIALS. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2014, Vol. 3, Issue 10.
- Liang K, Such G, Johnston AP, Zhu Z, Ejima H, Richardson J, Cui J, Caruso F. Endocytic pH-Triggered Degradation of Nanoengineered Multilayer Capsules. Advanced Materials. Wiley-VCH. 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 12.
- Bjornmalm A, Yan Y, Caruso F. Engineering and evaluating drug delivery particles in microfluidic devices. JOURNAL OF CONTROLLED RELEASE. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 190.
- Gunawan S, Liang K, Such G, Johnston AP, Leung M, Cui J, Caruso F. Engineering Enzyme-Cleavable Hybrid Click Capsules with a pH-Sheddable Coating for Intracellular Degradation. SMALL. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2014, Vol. 10, Issue 20.
- Chen X, Yan Y, Muellner M, Van Koeverden MP, Noi K, Zhu W, Caruso F. Engineering Fluorescent Poly(dopamine) Capsules. Langmuir. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 30, Issue 10.
- Guo J, Ping Y, Ejima H, Alt K, Meissner M, Richardson JJ, Yan Y, Peter K, Von Elverfeldt D, Hagemeyer CE, Caruso F. Engineering Multifunctional Capsules through the Assembly of Metal-Phenolic Networks. Angewandte Chemie - International Edition. Wiley-VCH. 2014, Vol. 53, Issue 22.
Level: 03 Room: 320B
Chemical Engineering #1, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83443461
F: +61 3 83444153
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile