Professor Frank Caruso
- Materials science
- Nano and biomolecular engineering
- Polymer science
Frank Caruso is a professor and ARC Australian Laureate Fellow at The University of Melbourne, Australia. Prof Caruso is also Deputy Director, ARC Centre of Excellence on Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology. He is also Leader of the Nanostructured Interfaces and Materials Science (NIMS) Group. He received his PhD degree in 1994 from The University of Melbourne, and then moved to the CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers in Melbourne. He was an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow and then group leader at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces (Berlin, Germany) from 1997 until 2002.
His research interests focus on developing advanced nano- and biomaterials for biotechnology and medicine. He has published over 300 peer-reviewed papers and is on the ISI most highly cited list, ranking in the top 20 worldwide in materials science in 2011. He is an Editor of Chemistry of Materials and is on the Editorial Advisory Boards of ACS Nano, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Healthcare Materials, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Biomaterials Science, and Nano Today
He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science in 2009. Prof. Caruso is also the recipient of the inaugural 2012 ACS Nano Lectureship Award (Asia/Pacific) from the American Chemical Society for global impact in nanoscience and nanotechnology. In 2012, he was awarded the Royal Society of Victoria Medal for Excellence in Scientific Research in the Physical Sciences, and after being a 2012 finalist, was awarded the prestigious 2013 CSIRO Eureka Prize for Leadership in Science – this category recognises an Australian individual who has demonstrated an outstanding role and impact on science. He was also part of the team that won the 2013 UNSW Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scientific Research.
- Yan Y, Bjornmalm A, Caruso F. Assembly of Layer-by-Layer Particles and Their Interactions with Biological Systems. Chemistry of Materials. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 1.
- Rahim M, Ejima H, Cho KL, Kempe K, Muellner M, Best J, Caruso F. Coordination-Driven Multistep Assembly of Metal-Polyphenol Films and Capsules. Chemistry of Materials. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 4.
- Cui J, Van Koeverden M, Muellner M, Kempe K, Caruso F. Emerging methods for the fabrication of polymer capsules. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 207.
- Liang K, Such G, Johnston A, Zhu Z, Ejima H, Richardson JJ, Cui J, Caruso F. Endocytic pH-Triggered Degradation of Nanoengineered Multilayer Capsules. Advanced Materials. Wiley-VCH. 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 12.
- Chen X, Yan Y, Muellner M, Van Koeverden MP, Noi K, Zhu W, Caruso F. Engineering Fluorescent Poly(dopamine) Capsules. Langmuir. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 30, Issue 10.
- Guo J, Ping Y, Ejima H, Alt K, Meissner M, Richardson JJ, Yan Y, Peter K, Von Elverfeldt D, Hagemeyer CE, Caruso F. Engineering Multifunctional Capsules through the Assembly of Metal-Phenolic Networks. Angewandte Chemie - International Edition. Wiley-VCH. 2014, Vol. 53, Issue 22.
- Richardson JJ, Teng D, Bjornmalm A, Gunawan S, Guo J, Cui J, Franks GV, Caruso F. Fluidized Bed Layer-by-Layer Microcapsule Formation. Langmuir. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 30, Issue 33.
- Ng S, Best J, Kempe K, Liang K, Johnston A, Such G, Caruso F. Fundamental Studies of Hybrid Poly(2-(diisopropylamino)ethyl methacrylate)/Poly(N-vinylpyrrolidone) Films and Capsules. Biomacromolecules. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 15, Issue 7.
- Simpson D, Thompson AJ, Kowarsky M, Zeeshan NF, Barson M, Hall L, Yan Y, Kaufmann S, Johnson B, Ohshima T, Caruso F, Scholten R, Saint RB, Murray MJ, Hollenberg L. In vivo imaging and tracking of individual nanodiamonds in drosophila melanogaster embryos. Biomedical Optics Express. Optical Society of America. 2014, Vol. 5, Issue 4.
- Cui J, Ju Y, Liang K, Ejima H, Loercher S, Gause K, Richardson JJ, Caruso F. Nanoscale engineering of low-fouling surfaces through polydopamine immobilisation of zwitterionic peptides. Soft Matter. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2014, Vol. 10.
- Liang K, Richardson JJ, Ejima H, Such G, Cui J, Caruso F. Peptide-Tunable Drug Cytotoxicity via One-Step Assembled Polymer Nanoparticles. Advanced Materials. Wiley-VCH. 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 15.
- Ejima H, Richardson JJ, Caruso F. Phenolic film engineering for template-mediated microcapsule preparation. Polymer Journal. Nature Publishing Group. 2014, Vol. 46, Issue 8.
- Lee PL, Johnston A, Caruso F. Programmed Degradation of DNA Multilayer Films. Small. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2014, Vol. 10, Issue 14.
- Tardy B, Dam HH, Kamphuis M, Richardson JJ, Caruso F. Self-Assembled Stimuli-Responsive Polyrotaxane Core-Shell Particles. Biomacromolecules. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 15, Issue 1.
- Cho KL, Lomas H, Hill AJ, Caruso F, Kentish SE. Spray Assembled, Cross-Linked Polyelectrolyte Multilayer Membranes for Salt Removal. Langmuir. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 30, Issue 29.
Level: 03 Room: 320B
Chemical Engineering #1, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83443461
F: +61 3 83444153
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile