Professor Frank Caruso
- Materials science
- Nano and biomolecular engineering
- Polymer science
Frank Caruso is a professor and ARC Australian Laureate Fellow at The University of Melbourne, Australia. Prof Caruso is also Deputy Director, ARC Centre of Excellence on Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology. He is also Leader of the Nanostructured Interfaces and Materials Science (NIMS) Group. He received his PhD degree in 1994 from The University of Melbourne, and then moved to the CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers in Melbourne. He was an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow and then group leader at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces (Berlin, Germany) from 1997 until 2002.
His research interests focus on developing advanced nano- and biomaterials for biotechnology and medicine. He has published over 300 peer-reviewed papers and is on the ISI most highly cited list, ranking in the top 20 worldwide in materials science in 2011. He is an Editor of Chemistry of Materials and is on the Editorial Advisory Boards of ACS Nano, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Healthcare Materials, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Biomaterials Science, and Nano Today
He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science in 2009. Prof. Caruso is also the recipient of the inaugural 2012 ACS Nano Lectureship Award (Asia/Pacific) from the American Chemical Society for global impact in nanoscience and nanotechnology. In 2012, he was awarded the Royal Society of Victoria Medal for Excellence in Scientific Research in the Physical Sciences, and after being a 2012 finalist, was awarded the prestigious 2013 CSIRO Eureka Prize for Leadership in Science – this category recognises an Australian individual who has demonstrated an outstanding role and impact on science. He was also part of the team that won the 2013 UNSW Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scientific Research.
- Cecil JD, O'Brien-Simpson NM, Lenzo JC, Holden JA, Chen YY, Singleton W, Gause KT, Yan Y, Caruso F, Reynolds EC. Differential Responses of Pattern Recognition Receptors to Outer Membrane Vesicles of Three Periodontal Pathogens.. PLoS One. Public Library of Science. 2016, Vol. 11, Issue 4.
- De Koker S, Cui J, Vanparijs N, Albertazzi L, Grooten J, Caruso F, De Geest BG. Engineering Polymer Hydrogel Nanoparticles for Lymph Node-Targeted Delivery. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 4.
- Tan S, Cui J, Fu Q, Nam E, Ladewig K, Ren J, Wong EHH, Caruso F, Blencowe A, Qiao G. Photocontrolled Cargo Release from Dual Cross-Linked Polymer Particles. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 9.
- Noi K, Roozmand A, Bjoernmalm M, Richardson J, Franks G, Caruso F. Assembly-Controlled Permeability of Layer-by-Layer Polymeric Microcapsules Using a Tapered Fluidized Bed. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2015, Vol. 7, Issue 50.
- Liang K, Carbonell C, Styles MJ, Ricco R, Cui J, Richardson JJ, Maspoch D, Caruso F, Falcaro P. Biomimetic Replication of Microscopic Metal-Organic Framework Patterns Using Printed Protein Patterns. ADVANCED MATERIALS. Wiley-VCH. 2015, Vol. 27, Issue 45.
- Guo J, Sun H, Alt K, Tardy B, Richardson J, Suma T, Ejima H, Cui J, Hagemeyer CE, Caruso F. Boronate-Phenolic Network Capsules with Dual Response to Acidic pH and cis-Diols. ADVANCED HEALTHCARE MATERIALS. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2015, Vol. 4, Issue 12.
- Maina JW, Richardson J, Chandrawati R, Kempe K, Van Koeverden M, Caruso F. Capsosomes as Long-Term Delivery Vehicles for Protein Therapeutics. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2015, Vol. 31, Issue 28.
- Cho K, Hill AJ, Caruso F, Kentish S. Chlorine Resistant Glutaraldehyde Crosslinked Polyelectrolyte Multilayer Membranes for Desalination. ADVANCED MATERIALS. Wiley-VCH. 2015, Vol. 27, Issue 17.
- Ju Y, Cui J, Muellner M, Suma T, Hu M, Caruso F. Engineering Low-Fouling and pH-Degradable Capsules through the Assembly of Metal-Phenolic Networks. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2015, Vol. 16, Issue 3.
- Cui J, De Rose R, Alt K, Alcantara S, Paterson B, Liang K, Hu M, Richardson J, Yan Y, Jeffery CM, Price RI, Peter K, Hagemeyer CE, Donnelly P, Kent S, Caruso F. Engineering Poly(ethylene glycol) Particles for Improved Biodistribution. ACS NANO. American Chemical Society. 2015, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Tan S, Nam E, Cui J, Xu C, Fu Q, Ren J, Wong E, Ladewig K, Caruso F, Blencowe A, Qiao G. Fabrication of ultra-thin polyrotaxane-based films via solid-state continuous assembly of polymers. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2015, Vol. 51, Issue 11.
- Bjornmalm A, Roozmand A, Noi K, Guo J, Cui J, Richardson J, Caruso F. Flow-Based Assembly of Layer-by-Layer Capsules through Tangential Flow Filtration. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2015, Vol. 31, Issue 33.
- Suma T, Cui J, Muellner M, Ju Y, Guo J, Hu M, Caruso F. Generalizable Strategy for Engineering Protein Particles with pH-Triggered Disassembly and Recoverable Protein Functionality. ACS MACRO LETTERS. American Chemical Society. 2015, Vol. 4, Issue 2.
- Such G, Yan Y, Johnston AP, Gunawan S, Caruso F. Interfacing Materials Science and Biology for Drug Carrier Design. ADVANCED MATERIALS. Wiley-VCH. 2015, Vol. 27, Issue 14.
- Cho K, Hill AJ, Caruso F, Kentish S. Membranes: chlorine resistant glutaraldehyde crosslinked polyelectrolyte multilayer membranes for desalination (adv. Mater. 17/2015).. Adv Mater. 2015, Vol. 27, Issue 17.
Level: 03 Room: 320B
Chemical Engineering #1, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83443461
F: +61 3 83444153
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile